Sunday, April 5, 2015

This Week's Releases: April 5 - 11

Welcome to This Week's Releases! The new weekly post on Beneath the Jacket Reviews that I will post every Sunday. I am going to discuss the releases of the week that I am super excited about, and why. Some weeks there may be a dozen books, sometimes there may be two or three, and sometimes there may be none at all. That's alright though, since it's just about books I am actually interested in!

April 5 - 11

Another week with a lot of YA books releasing! Even more than I originally knew about before I looked at the list I like to use at YALit. Without too much more talking from me, here are the releases I'm looking forward to this week!

 1. The Truth About Us by Janet Gurtler
Series: N/A
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Page Count: 304
Why I Want to Read It: This is pretty much the definition of contemporaries that I enjoy reading. There is a main character who is going through some difficult times, and the guy from the wrong side of town that seems to be the only one who understands what she is going through. There is a chance that it might be a bit obvious, but I am perfectly okay with that.

Synopsis: A powerful and gripping contemporary YA from the author of I'm Not Her that's "Just right for fans of Sarah Dessen and Jodi Picoult."-Booklist

The truth is that Jess knows she screwed up.
She's made mistakes, betrayed her best friend, and now she's paying for it. Her dad is making her spend the whole summer volunteering at the local soup kitchen.

The truth is she wishes she was the care-free party-girl everyone thinks she is.
She pretends it's all fine. That her "perfect" family is fine. But it's not. And no one notices the lie...until she meets Flynn. He's the only one who really sees her. The only one who listens.

The truth is that Jess is falling apart – and no one seems to care.
But Flynn is the definition of "the wrong side of the tracks." When Jess's parents look at him they only see the differences-not how much they need each other. They don't get that the person who shouldn't fit in your world... might just be the one to make you feel like you belong.

 2. Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins
Series: Rebel Belle #2
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Page Count: 288
Why I Want to Read It: I have heard SO many great things about the first book in this series, and while I have not read it yet, I do know that I want to get this series and begin reading it so that I can see what the whole hype is about.

Synopsis: Life is almost back to normal for Harper Price. The Ephors have been silent after their deadly attack at Cotillion months ago, and best friend Bee has returned after a mysterious disappearance. Now Harper can return her focus to the important things in life: school, canoodling with David, her nemesis-turned-ward-slash-boyfie, and even competing in the Miss Pine Grove pageant.

Unfortunately, supernatural chores are never done. The Ephors have decided they’d rather train David than kill him. The catch: Harper has to come along for the ride, but she can’t stay David’s Paladin unless she undergoes an ancient trial that will either kill her . . . or connect her to David for life.
 

 3. Empire of Night by Kelley Armstrong
Series: Age of Legends #2
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: HarperCollins
Page Count: 432
Why I Want to Read It: I recently picked up Sea of Shadows from Book Outlet when I was able to get the hardcover for about five dollars. I have heard great things about this series, and I do want to pick this one up so that I can read book one and two back to back.

Synopsis: Sisters Moria and Ashyn are the Keeper and Seeker of Edgewood. Or at least, they were.

Their village is gone. Their friends have betrayed them. And now, the emperor has sent them on a mission to rescue the children of Edgewood—accompanied by Prince Tyrus and a small band of imperial warriors. But the journey proves more perilous than they could have imagined. With treachery and unrest mounting in the empire, Moria and Ashyn will have to draw on all their influence and power to overcome deadly enemies—not all of them human—and even avert an all-out war.
 

 4. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Series: N/A
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Page Count: 320
Why I Want to Read It: This is another one that I have heard amazing things about. It seems like it will be a great contemporary because it covers situations that are not talked about in a lot of YA books. I am not sure that I have read any YA books with a gay protagonist, and I am looking forward to reading it.

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.
 

 5. Lies I Told by Michelle Zink
Series: Lies I Told #1
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 352
Why I Want to Read It: A family of thieves? That seems pretty awesome to me! I cannot wait to read this one, it seems like it is going to be a great, entertaining read. I also like that it is going to be a series instead of a standalone, you don't see that very often with contemporary.

Synopsis: What if, after spending a lifetime deceiving everyone around you, you discovered the biggest lies were the ones you've told yourself?

Grace Fontaine has everything: beauty, money, confidence, and the perfect family.

But it’s all a lie.

Grace has been adopted into a family of thieves who con affluent people out of money, jewelry, art, and anything else of value. Grace has never had any difficulty pulling off a job, but when things start to go wrong on the Fontaines' biggest heist yet, Grace finds herself breaking more and more of the rules designed to keep her from getting caught...including the most important one of all: never fall for your mark.
 

Series: N/A
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Page Count: 328
Why I Want to Read It: I have read some stuff by Ann Aguirre, but they were dystopians. I am very interested to see how she writes contemporary in comparison to those novels. I have heard good things, and I think that the cover is quite cute!

Synopsis: Sage Czinski is trying really hard to be perfect. If she manages it, people won’t peer beyond the surface, or ask hard questions about her past. She’s learned to substitute causes for relationships, and it’s working just fine… until Shane Cavendish strolls into her math class. He’s a little antisocial, a lot beautiful, and everything she never knew she always wanted.

Shane Cavendish just wants to be left alone to play guitar and work on his music. He’s got heartbreak and loneliness in his rearview mirror, and this new school represents his last chance. He doesn’t expect to be happy; he only wants to graduate and move on. He never counted on a girl like Sage.

But love doesn’t mend all broken things, and sometimes life has to fall apart before it can be put back together again…

What releases are you looking forward to this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs