Saturday, February 21, 2015

Stacking the Shelves [39]

I am joining in on Stacking The Shelves, a weekly meme hosted over at Tynga's Reviews. It is an easy way to share what books you picked up that week, and to see what other people have picked up to read themselves.

How to Participate?
  • Create your own Stacking The Shelves post. You can use my official graphic or your own, but please link back to Tynga’s Reviews so more people can join the fun!
  • You can set your post any way you want, simple book list, covers, pictures, vlog, sky is the limit!
  • I am posting Stacking The Shelves on Saturdays, but feel free to post yours any day that fits you.
  • Visit Tynga’s Reviews on Saturday and add your link so others can visit you!


THIS WEEK:

I actually did not buy any books this week (I know, I'm shocked by it, too!). However, I did make a purchase on Amazon several weeks ago that I am STILL waiting to arrive. It was supposed to be here this week, but they just shipped it yesterday, so I guess I will talk about those books next week. Instead, I am going to focus on some of the books I received from Netgalley recently that I really need to read soon as I am already behind on them (anyone there with me?)

ALSO, today is the last day to enter my Blogoversary Giveaway! Don't miss out on the opportunity to win some awesome books and bookmarks!!

Netgalley Books:

Best Friends Through Eternity by Sylvia McNicoll

Inspired by the true story of a teen who was killed at a railway crossing, the author weaves the tale of fourteen-year-old Paige, who, taking a shortcut alongside the tracks to avoid the school bullies, is tragically hit by a train and transported to a surreal world where she encounters Kim, who died seven years before. Convinced she is only dreaming, Paige must discover a way to return to her former life. Poignant, gripping, and full of unexpected twists and turns, Best Friends through Eternity will resonate with readers who have struggled with cultural identity, a sense of belonging, and the real meaning of home.

 A Magic Dark and Bright by Jenny Adams Perinovic

She meant to help a ghost...not unleash a curse.

Amelia Dupree hasn’t seen the Woman in White since the night her brother died.

The ghost seems to have disappeared from the woods surrounding Asylum, Pennsylvania—that is, until Charlie Blue moves into the creepy old MacAllister House next door. Amelia can’t help liking him, even though she spent her childhood thinking his grandmother was a witch. And she definitely can’t ignore the connection between his arrival and the Woman in White’s return.

Then Amelia learns that the Woman in White is a prisoner, trapped between the worlds of the living and the dead. Devastated by the idea that her brother could be suffering a similar fate, Amelia decides to do whatever it takes to help the Woman in White find peace--and Charlie agrees to help her.

But when Amelia’s classmates start to drown in the Susquehanna River, one right after another, rumors swirl as people begin to connect the timing of Charlie’s arrival with the unexplained deaths. As Charlie and Amelia uncover the dark history of Asylum, they realize they may have unleashed an unspeakable evil. One they have to stop before everything they love is destroyed.

 Burn Baby, Burn Baby by Kevin Craig

Seventeen-year-old Francis Fripp’s confidence is practically non-existent since his abusive father drenched him in accelerant and threw a match at him eight years ago.

Now badly scarred, Francis relies on his best friend Trig to protect him from the constant bullying doled out at the hands of his nemesis, Brandon Hayley—the unrelenting boy who gave him the dreaded nickname of Burn Baby.

The new girl at school, Rachel Higgins, is the first to see past Francis’s pariah-inducing scars.

If Brandon’s bullying doesn’t destroy him, Francis might experience life as a normal teenager for the first time in his life. He just has to avoid Brandon and convince himself he’s worthy of Rachel’s attentions.

Sounds easy enough, but Francis himself has a hard time seeing past his scars. And Brandon is getting violently frustrated, as his attempts to bully Francis are constantly thwarted.

Francis is in turmoil as he simultaneously rushes toward his first kiss and a possible violent end.

 My Best Everything by Sarah Tomp

You say it was all meant to be. You and me. The way we met. Our secrets in the woods. Even the way it all exploded. It was simply a matter of fate.

Maybe if you were here to tell me again, to explain it one more time, then maybe I wouldn’t feel so uncertain. But I’m going back to the beginning on my own. To see what happened and why.


Luisa “Lulu” Mendez has just finished her final year of high school in a small Virginia town, determined to move on and leave her job at the local junkyard behind. So when her father loses her college tuition money, Lulu needs a new ticket out.

Desperate for funds, she cooks up the (definitely illegal) plan to make and sell moonshine with her friends, Roni and Bucky. Quickly realizing they’re out of their depth, Lulu turns to Mason: a local boy who’s always seemed like a dead end. As Mason guides Lulu through the secret world of moonshine, it looks like her plan might actually work. But can she leave town before she loses everything – including her heart?

The summer walks the line between toxic and intoxicating. My Best Everything is Lulu’s letter to Mason – though is it an apology, a good-bye, or a love letter?

What did you add to your shelves this week?

21 comments:

  1. Nice! These are all new to me ones! Hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about most of them either, actually! I have a really bad habit of requesting books based on covers when it comes to Netgalley! Thanks again for stopping by, Jessica! :]

      Delete
  2. Great haul. A Magic Dark and Bright seems like a pretty good book and I love the cover. I'm super excited for My Best Everything. I hope you enjoy all your books! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover of it, too, that's mostly why I requested it if I am being completely honest! (I can be really bad about choosing books just based on the covers!). I think My Best Everything sounds great, so I do hope to read it soon!

      Delete
  3. I seem to be permanently behind on my Netgalley Reads too sadly.

    I've not heard of any of the books you've mentioned but I am intrigued by a couple so thank you for showing them to me.

    Thea @  Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am always so behind on it, so it's nice to hear that I am not the only one! I really am going to try to improve on it this year though! Thanks for stopping by! :]

      Delete
  4. Nice haul! I love the cover of A Magic Dark and Bright. Sounds like an interesting read, I'll have to look that one up. I recently increased my NetGalley percent to 77. I was at 42 for the longest time, so I understand how easy it is to fall behind there.
    Here's my StS post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the cover just gorgeous! I am sure that it's one that will be absolutely beautiful in person, too! Wow, 77 percent is awesome! I am hanging out right at the 40% myself, and I really need to fix that soon. I'm going to work very hard on it this year!

      Delete
  5. Great haul this week! Love the cover for A Magic Dark and Bright, I hope it's content is as gorgeous as the cover. I also hope you enjoy all your reads this week :)

    Courtney @ Storybook Slayers
    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am hoping that the story is just as beautiful as the cover! Thanks for stopping by! :]

      Delete
  6. My friend loved A Magic Dark and Bright. I hope you enjoy it.

    Come and check out OUaT's STS and ENTER our giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that people are enjoying it then! Thank you for stopping by! :]

      Delete
  7. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by! :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh they're all new to me I confess. I hope you"ll enjoy them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Magic Dark and Bright reminds me of the Woman in Black! :-) Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all new to me but they sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I REALLY hate it when you are waiting forever for a book to arrive in the post. You get the panic over whether it is lost then the irritation of 'where the heck is it' then the 'I want it NOW' moment! Despite having over 500 books to read, I still want every new one to arrive quickly. Hope your books turn up soon and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these authors and books are new to me. The descriptions sound very interesting. I will have to check out some reviews on goodreads. Thanks for stopping by my STS and sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you enjoy your new books! :-) Thanks for stopping by my STS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! These are all great! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh A Magic Dark and Bright and My Best Everything sound so, so good! Hope you enjoy them all, and have a wonderful week :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs