Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Review: You Make Me by Erin McCarthy

You Make Me 
by Erin McCarthy 

Blurred Lines #1
Category: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publication Date: April 2014
Page Count: 289
Source: e-book for review

Goodreads Synopsis: The guy she wants…

Growing up on the coast of Maine with a revolving door of foster siblings, Caitlyn Michaud spent one intense and passionate year falling in love with her foster brother, Heath. Then he left without a word. The betrayal devastated Caitlyn and made her vow to forget the compelling bad boy. But forgetting his sensual touch and their deep all-consuming friendship is easier said than done.

Isn’t the guy she needs…

Determined to move on, in college Caitlyn has risen above her small town impoverished roots and has joined a sorority, reinvented her appearance, and landed the right boyfriend. Pre-law major and frat president, Ethan, is thoughtful and always laughing, and he makes her feel happy, calm. He also gives her the social acceptance she craves.

But the perfect world she tried so hard to attain is ripped apart when Heath appears one night out of nowhere. Caitlyn remembers all the reasons why she loves him, even if they don’t make sense to anyone but her. Out of the military, Heath is as brooding and intense as ever, and he is determined not only to win her back, but to exact revenge on everyone who kept him from her…

And when one love allows her to breathe, but the other feels as essential to her life as air, how does she choose between them?


GOODREADS . AMAZON  

Review: While New Adult books still tend to make me pretty nervous before I pick them up, this is the kind that I really, really like. While it's still romance, it's more focused on the contemporary side of things instead of the sexual or erotica side. It very much reminded me of some of my favorite young adult contemporary novels as well. When I read the synopsis of the book, I was thrilled to be able to read it for review. Sure, parts of were very familiar to many books I have read before, but I still enjoyed it very much. 

My favorite thing about this book was the characters, and how well developed they were. While sometimes the characters were a bit frustrating for me, I realize that they were acting in a very realistic manner. Caitlyn was hurt at a young age, and even though she is thrilled when Heath shows up again, she is also anger and hesitant to trust. That is a feeling that would be normal for anyone in tat situation, and I am glad that the author included those things.

I would count this book as having a love triangle, though I am not sure it was a typical one, either. Usually, it feels as if the two are going against one another, trying to prove why they are better and what they can offer the person they love. I did not feel like that was an issue here, though. I liked the characters of both Heath and Ethan very much, and all I wanted was for both of them to end up happy. In this, I felt like that was possible even though one of them would not end up with Cat in the end. 

The writing style of Erin McCarthy is something that I really enjoyed as well. I had not read any of her work before, so I was not sure what to expect. I really did enjoy the style, though. I have found very few New Adult authors so far that I have been able to add to a list that I enjoy, but McCarthy quickly gets added to the list after reading this book. While I am not sure a sequel is really needed, though it seems like a series, I probably would continue with it if I see the next book is out. I would highly recommend this book to New Adult contemporary fans.

Rating: 4.0 / 5.0 


2 comments:

  1. She really has great characters :) I've not tried this one yet but read book 2 and really liked the hero and heroine from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book because of your review. I really liked it. Thank you for being such an awesome book blogger!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs