Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Risk Worth Taking Review Blitz

     
Synopsis: When 22-year-old Summer Stafford’s parents split halfway through her senior year at college, Summer’s world is rocked. Everything she thought she knew—heck, everything she thought she wanted for her own life—feels like a lie. The truth is love is a risk. And the true kind, the kind that lasts, might even be a fairy tale.

Reeling from the divorce, Summer derails her own future by breaking up with her parent-approved boyfriend and giving up her lifelong plans for a big-city career. She moves back home, business degree in hand. Dad needs her to fill the gaps her mother left behind; Summer needs to find who she is outside of the cookie-cutter life that failed so miserably for her parents.

Ford O’Neal’s future involves one person: himself. He doesn’t have a permanent address and he definitely doesn’t commit. To a place or a person. Raised by hippies, he plans just far enough ahead to secure his next stop, this one landing him at a work-study program at Heritage Plantation where he can grow his own herbal and medicinal creations.

Summer is gorgeous and smart and fun to be with, the perfect way to pass five months. It won’t be love—Ford’s got too many things to accomplish, too many places to go, before he settles down. Yet Summer pulls him in, challenging him to rethink his own philosophy.

When Ford’s five months are up, each of them must decide if love is really worth the risk.

Purchase
Barnes & Noble

Review: I was very excited when I was given the chance to read and review this book. Before I even read any of the synopsis, the picture drew me in. I received the email about doing a review blitz, and I knew the cover alone would make it difficult for me to turn down. It looked like it was going to be a contemporary, and you all know how much I love those. Along with that, it was the start of summer so it was the exact kind of book that I was looking for. Ultimately, I am thrilled that I did decide to read this book, and it goes so far beyond just having a great cover.

Now, this book hit home a bit. While my parents are not divorced, my husband's parents are. I will not go into details as those sorts of things are personal, but I have seen the struggle that this can be, especially when there are children involved. Because of this, I could already relate to Summer (love her name, by the way). She was struggling through seeing her parents, a couple she thought had an amazing love for one another, fall apart. Suddenly, everything she had been planning does not seem to matter and she drops it all in order to move back home to help her father. He needs help on their farm, and she feels that she needs to step into that place.

The whole thing felt very real to me; the emotions and reactions that Summer had seemed just like something people go through in these situations. On the opposite spectrum of Summer, we have Ford. He is used to changing things up and taking things as they come. He does not settle down, nor does he commit. At the time being he has taken an internship at the same farm, causing him to run into Summer. (Predictable? Sure. Do I care? Nope!). Their chemistry happened right away, and I enjoyed reading their interactions. Ultimately, they both had a lot to learn about one another, and I truly enjoyed watching both of the main characters grow.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Sure, it was not exactly anything new in the contemporary world, but I am perfectly okay with that. I enjoy a good love story that might be too good to be true, that's part of why I read books, after all. This book just zoomed by for me, and I know that I would be happy to continue reading about Summer and Ford. That should really say something, I think. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone, and I strongly suggest that everyone pick it up.

Rating: 5.0 / 5.0

 

About Heather Hildenbrand
 
Author of Across the Galaxy, Whisper, and the Dirty Blood series. I write, read, and fuss at my kids. Oh, and I do laundry, lots of laundry. I'm pretty good at it, too. Sometimes I even read WHILE doing laundry - and fussing at my kids. I'm a multi-tasker.

For more information on my books, release dates, or just general stalker material, um, I mean FAN material, visit my website. www.heatherhildenbrand.blogspot.com. I love hearing from readers!

Likes and dislikes? I love vintage tees, hate socks with sandals, and if my house was on fire the one thing I'd grab is my Amazon Fire TV! (oh yeah, I'm a fan of puns.)

Giveaway
US ONLY

E-Book Copy of A Risk Worth Taking, Signed Swag, and a Custom Hair Flower

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs